Sharon Regional's Cancer Care Center approved for radiation oncology national clinical trails
Sharon Regional's Cancer Care Center, 2320 Highland Rd., Hermitage, recently received approval to participate in radiation oncology clinical trials in collaboration with the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group. The oncology group, which is funded by the National Cancer Institute and based in Philadelphia, is a multi-institutional cooperative organization, the principal objectives of which include:
· Increasing the survival of patients with malignant diseases in which control of the local-regional tumor is a major determinant of outcome
· Demonstrating the contributions of new modalities to the therapy of cancer, adjunctive to the established modalities of surgical resection, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy
· Improving the quality of life of patients by preserving structure and function while maintaining or increasing survival, and providing palliation and preserving dignity for patients who are not cured
· Preventing second and subsequent malignant tumors among patients cured of cancer
· Seeking greater understanding of the biology of several types of cancer
For more information on oncology group protocols, please contact Dennis Ulewicz, M.D., medical director of radiation oncology at the Cancer Care Center, at 724-983-5905, or Darlene Washington, RN, protocol nurse, 724-984-5900.