Rehabilitation services offer numerous programs for all needs and ages
The Sharon Regional Health System and Shenango Valley YMCA boards of directors have approved a plan for Sharon Regional to transfer its Personal Fitness Center memberships to the YMCA along with the donation of all of the Center's advanced exercise and fitness equipment.
The YMCA will construct an addition on the southwest portion of its building at 925 North Hermitage to develop a new, air-conditioned, comprehensive Personal Fitness Center including an aerobics studio with specialized aerobics floor to accommodate the additional fitness/exercise equipment and memberships. Construction of the YMCA's new Personal Fitness Center is expected to begin in the Fall and be completed in early 2005.
Upon completion of the new facility, individuals and families who are currently members of Sharon Regional's Personal Fitness Center will automatically become members of the Shenango Valley YMCA within the same membership category. In addition to having access to a new and expanded Personal Fitness Center, they will also enjoy full access to all YMCA programs and events including a wide variety of adult and children's programming.
According to Rich Moeller, chief executive officer of the Shenango Valley YMCA, the boost in YMCA memberships and construction of the new addition will provide the stability the YMCA needs in order to grow. "The YMCA Board of Directors has been working extremely hard on a long-range plan with an ultimate goal of building a comprehensive family fitness and wellness center, including a swimming pool, which would be the focus of the community," Moeller stated. "
While that project is in the future, this interim step of transitioning Sharon Regional's Personal Fitness Center membership base will provide us with the much-needed financial stability that will enable us to continue to grow," Moeller added.
Wayne Johnston, president and CEO of Sharon Regional, felt the transition of Personal Fitness Center members to the YMCA was a "win-win" for members of both facilities. "Sharon Regional certainly recognizes the importance of exercise and fitness and the major role they play in improving one's overall health," Johnston said.
"The efforts the YMCA is making in developing a new Personal Fitness Center will benefit members of both organizations by offering a larger, more comprehensive fitness and exercise facility, with access to more equipment, more specialized programs, and expanded hours of operation. As a comprehensive community health organization, we at Sharon Regional are happy to assist another community organization that has exciting long-range plans for significant growth."
YMCA members and transitioned Personal Fitness Center members will receive extensive benefits upon completion of the YMCA's new addition and the blending of the existing equipment and services of the Personal Fitness Center into the YMCA's program offerings, including:
· Use of a new, air-conditioned, comprehensive Personal Fitness Center including aerobics studio with specialized aerobics floor
· More than 30 pieces of cardiovascular fitness equipment including a new "Cardio Theater" that features individual headsets and choice of TV programming
· Availability of additional fitness programming such as Jump Stretch, Family Yoga, Balance Classes, Cardiac Fitness, Senior Stretch & Stride, Butts & Guts, Pilates classes, RehabPlus, expanded aerobics classes, and more
· Availability of additional staff with special education and certification in exercise physiology, fitness, aerobics, and wellness
· Expanded hours, including expanded babysitting hours
· Upgraded air-conditioned locker rooms
· New lounge for members with refreshment/vending area and TV
· Dedicated program room and community meeting room
· New lighted entrance road
· Completion of an outdoor walking trail
· Access to more than 50 additional Fitness, General, and Personalized YMCA programs
Architectural drawings of the new Personal Fitness Center at the YMCA will be Sharon Regional's Rehabilitation Centers of Excellence offer numerous programs for all needs and ages with locations throughout the area. Outpatient rehab traditionally treats those with orthopedic, occupational and athletic injuries, post-surgery conditions, arthritis, or speech problems.
Our Specialized Rehabilitation Services include:
· Cancer care rehabilitation: In collaboration with our Cancer Care Center, Sharon Regional has developed rehabilitative services that includes physical and occupational therapies dedicated to assist patients with recovery of their function, energy, strength, and independence to resume a productive life.
· Lymphedema services: Lymphedema often is a debilitating disorder that involves advanced swelling in one or more limbs that impairs function and the patient's feeling of self worth. Sharon Regional has the Valley's only certified treatment provider of lymphedema's symptoms in Tammy Meyerowich, PT.
· Balance and vestibular rehabilitation: Advanced diagnostic and treatment for individuals suffering from dizziness, lightheadedness, and frequent falls. Advanced training and collaborative treatment is required to successfully treat people with these disorders. Through collaboration with our audiology services and physical and occupational therapy, Sharon Regional surpasses all other providers in the area to help those in our community remain independent and productive.
· Specialized pediatric department includes physical, occupational and speech therapies and focuses on our youngest clients from birth to young teen years.
· Aquatic rehab services provided in a warm water pool to help ease pain, improve range of motion and enhance recovery from injuries. · Back and neck pain are common problems that result in a more advanced and progressive program called "Back to Function." This program not only focuses on reducing pain and increasing function, but teaches the patient many techniques to have a healthy back and resumption of life activities.
· Hand Therapy services is another highly advanced program. This department is lead by Maureen Riggle, a certified hand therapist and occupational therapist.
· Corporate Health Services offers physical and occupational therapy treatments provide immediate and advanced rehabilitation services to the Valley's injured workers with the goal of returning them to work in a fast, safe, and productive manner.
For more information, please call 724-983-3960.